13 November 2012

Updated Studio

Now that I have more time to focus on my studio practice and environment, I've spent the last couple of weeks taming the chaos of the studio. I usually do a quick clean of the studio each time I return from a break, but this fall a major overhaul was in order.

This year I began using my drawing/sewing/framing upstairs studio for my new acrylic paintings. At the time, I just jumped in despite not having a practical painting set up. Over the summer, it became more cramped as I added a second easel and worked on bigger paintings.



Here the sewing table is turned into the paint & palette surface, also sporting small paintings in progress. The drafting table was a kind of catch all. Behind the easels are the matte cutter and flat files.

Now, after some table wrangling, three spaces have been updated and made more user friendly; the office now has a better work flow using a table from the downstairs studio, the downstairs studio now has booth sewing machines and all the stuff that goes with that and the upstairs studio now looks like this:



I know as I work this fall, it will have a more "worked in" feel, but it's great to have a clean and welcoming space.

For me, a clean studio let's me focus on the work with fresh, uncluttered mind and I feel more responsive to the work when there is an openness to my space.

How about you, how do you like your studio space?